Switching hits 1.5 million in 2015
Over 1.5 million customers have switched electricity supplier this year, Energy UK said today.
The latest electricity switching data shows 251,318 households chose a new supplier in May 2015, slightly up from May 2014 when 243,736 switched. Small suppliers gained 65,052 electricity accounts in May, which is 26 per cent of all switches. This was on trend for the year so far with a quarter of all switches in 2015 to smaller suppliers.
Lawrence Slade, chief executive of Energy UK, said:
“There are now even more suppliers for customers to choose from. It is great to see thousands of households continuing to take advantage of this by switching electricity provider each month.
“Many customers will be coming off their fixed energy deals over the coming weeks so now is a good time to look around to see what deals are on offer.”
Notes for editors
- The switching data is supplied by Electralink who provide a secure service to transfer data between the electricity market participants. The company operates the Data Transfer Network (DTN) which underpins customer switching, meter interoperability and other business processes critical to a competitive electricity market.
- Read the full electricity switching report for May 2015.
- Information about the switching process can be found on the Energy UK website.
- The Cornwall Energy reports on competition in the energy sector can be found on the Energy UK website.
- The Ipsos MORI report on consumer experience is available on the Energy UK website.